People.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

I encountered several types of people in Germany.

The first were American tourists. Technically I was one of those, but I was a university student living with other German university students and had a mission to blend in and act "German." I also spoke German. Some of the other Americans in my program could be a little obnoxious at times, but nothing like some of the situations I witnessed. One of the main stereotype Germans have about Americans is that Americans are LOUD. And actually, loud we are. I can't tell you how many times I was on a train somewhere or out at night and encountered a really, really loud group of (usually drunk) Americans bragging about stupid things or just being generally embarrassing. Sometimes they seemed just really uninterested in local culture--I think probably because lots of young people travel/study abroad to drink and party, and really take advantage of the super young drinking age in Germany.

And then, there were the Erasmus students. Prior to moving to Germany, I had never heard of Erasmus before, but it's basically EU study abroad. It stands for European Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students, and is an exchange program to encourage university students to travel and study in other countries in the European Union. I met a bunch of them in my German classes at the Uni, and they all lived together in one of the student housing areas called the StuSie. They quickly banned together and formed a pretty formidable group: students from England, Scotland, Belgium, Italy, and France mostly. The UK kids dominated. Erasmus seems like a crazy party semester, and when the Erasmus kids took over bars, they took over bars. They came to Vaubar, the small bar next door to me, and drank them out of alcohol on more than one occasion. I thought Americans were obnoxious partiers, but Erasmus students are on a pretty equal level. My Erasmus friends also went on several crazy party trips, to Prague and also to Greece...regrettably I couldn't go on either of those trips for one reason or another, but something tells me I might not have survived at the pace at which they partied. Seriously intense.

Freiburg also had a pretty decent population of students from Spain. Germany is pretty much single-handedly holding up the EU economy right now, and my interpretation of the situation is that lots of people from Spain are funneling into Germany to get a better education and a good job. They don't necessarily speak German, either. Most speak more English than German.

And then, there are the Japanese exchange students. They throw up peace signs next to their faces in every picture, and they take a lot of pictures. There were more students from Japan than any other country in my month-long Sprachkurs (language course) that I took at the university before the semester began. A lot of them were very shy, much moreso than the Europeans. They liked to travel in packs.


0 comments:

Post a Comment